Yoga by the Sea

How to find a therapist

Life comes with challenges, and sometimes, those challenges can weigh us down. But do you know when, and more importantly, that it’s OKAY to ask for help when you need it? Getting help is the ultimate act of self-care.

If the stress in your life is so overwhelming that you find it hard to function well or feel happy, you probably should see a therapist.

A therapist can help if…

  1. You often feel anxious and unable to connect with others.

  2. You’re in a toxic relationship, especially if there is physical or emotional abuse.

  3. You have old wounds that cause problems in your relationships such as difficulty connecting, trusting others, or communicating your feelings in a way that is appropriate to the situation.

  4. You’re anxious about the future or a situation you’re struggling with, such as a pending divorce, job loss, or the overwhelm of caring for a sick parent.

  5. You experience racism in the workplace, from friends, or you feel the impacts of living in a society where there is structural racism.

  6. You suffer from low self-esteem and it’s holding you back from life and opportunities.

Once you’ve made the decision to work with a therapist, where do you start?


Think about the kind of therapy that will be most helpful to you.

Here are a few common types:

  1. Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) is solution-focused and designed with the “end in mind.” A therapist who specializes in MFT can guide you through the complex interpersonal problems that come up in relationships. This includes relationships with partners, family members, work colleagues, and anyone you have a relationship with. One of the most common types of therapy these professionals handle is couples therapy.

  2. Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) can help you address emotional issues that stem from problematic ways of thinking. There is a lot of evidence to support the effectiveness of CBT for various problems including phobias and fears, generalized anxiety, eating disorders, or sleep disorders. A psychologist or psychiatrist, registered psychotherapist, or social worker can all offer CBT.

  3. Dialect